The Official ‘Firefighter for a Weekend’ Experience
April 4 @ 8:00 am - 5:00 pm
*This event requires a minimum of 6 registered guests by Monday, March 30th to activate. If the minimum is not met by then, event will be canceled or postponed to a later date*
What’s it like to be a firefighter? You can watch all of the television and movies you want, or even ask one at your local firehouse, but until you’re face-to-face with a ferocious blaze reaching temperatures upward of 1,000 degrees Fahrenheit, you just won’t understand how challenging the job is. Fortunately for you, one of the nation’s premier fire training academies is ready to suit you up and give you a taste of the teamwork, leadership skills, and perseverance needed to become one of New York’s Bravest. Are you ready for real-life superhero training?
Join New York Adventure Club for an immersive firefighter experience with the Nassau County Fire Services Academy, a world-class fire training facility in Old Bethpage, NY that teaches firefighters how to efficiently and effectively carry out their responsibilities, while minimizing the risk to their own personal safety.
Led by the fire academy’s veteran instructors, who train everyone from ‘probies’ to career firefighters, our exclusive weekend crash-course training program will include:
Day 1 (Saturday)
- 8:00am: Complimentary Continental Breakfast — Get to know your fellow firefighters-in-training and instructors before the experience begins!
- 9:00am: Classroom Instruction — Learn the basic fundamentals of firefighting, from safety training, to the Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA), to donning and duffing methods
- 12:00pm: Complimentary Lunch — Fuel up for the exercises ahead with an assortment of wraps, pizza, salads, and more
- 1:00pm: Mask Confidence Field Testing — After you suit up in your SCBA, you’ll embark on a series of training exercises including breathing techniques in stressful situations, how to navigate a house with your eyes closed, and group movement drills to ensure your teammates’ location is always accounted for.
- 2:00pm: Smokehouse Drills — Now that you’re comfortable moving around with your equipment on, we’ll practice crawling and navigation techniques in a zero-visibility environment by sending you through a building filled with smoke. We’ll then crank up the difficulty by adding a full-size firehose to the exercise!
- 3:00pm: Fire Extinguisher Training — Now it’s time to tackle the flames! This scenario will teach you how to properly put out different types of fires using a fire extinguisher.
- 4:00pm Fire Behavior Lab — You’ll cap off your day by sitting inside a specially designed chamber with your SCBA on, and watching a small fire evolve and intensify into a controlled blaze that completely envelops the room.
- 5:00pm: Day 1 training is complete! It’s time to cool down grabbing dinner and drinks with your firefighters-in-training and instructors at the local pub!
Day 2 (Sunday)
- 8:00am: Complimentary Continental Breakfast — Regroup with your fellow Day 1 firefighters-in-training over some morning bites.
- 9:00am: Classroom Instruction — A more advanced seminar on firefighting strategy and on-the-ground tactics that will prepare you for the intense scenarios ahead.
- 12:00pm: Complimentary Lunch — Fuel up for more intense exercises ahead with an assortment of wraps, pizza, salads, and more
- 1:00pm: Scenario 1: The Car Fire — After instructors engulf a vehicle in flames, you’ll work with your fellow teammates to extinguish the fire using a variety of techniques and liquid solutions.
- 2:00pm: Scenario 2: The Garden Apartment Fire — In this indoor training exercise, which will introduce you to the intense heat that a real blaze puts off, you’ll go from room-to-room in an apartment complex to put out multiple fires
- 3:00pm: Scenario 3: Private Dwelling Fire — A two-story house catches on fire. You’ll learn how to quickly unfold and hook up a firehose, enter a burning house to search for survivors, and how to put out fires in multiple rooms on different floors.
- 4:00pm: Final Scenario: Commerical Building Fire — You’ve trained for this moment. Once the dispatch comes in over the station radio that Last Chance Garage is on fire, you’ll quickly suit up, board the fire truck, and race to the scene. Once at the fire, you’ll work with your teammates and instructors to set up a perimeter, form a strategy, execute a search and rescue operation, and extinguish the flames.
- 5:00pm: Day 2 training is complete! Cap off the long weekend with another trip to the local pub with your fellow teammates and instructors.
This training program also includes four complimentary passes for friends & family to cheer you on in the afternoons, and give you the support and encouragement you need to complete your field training!
You won’t find a program like this anywhere else in the United States, so what are you waiting for? At the end of your training, you’ll have a newfound respect for New York’s Bravest, and hopefully, be motivated to become your community’s newest local volunteer firefighter.
See you there!